Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The continuation

So many times we failed, and we see our coaches doing and demo-ing to us how it should be done. To us, it was just not doable. Stunts that they choreographed were just so easy to them. They practiced and did it in just a snap of our fingers. The more they wanted that particular stunt to be done, the more stress it added. The pressure make us felt like failures, but none of us said anything because everybody believed in us.

Jay: Shoulder stand base ever since he started cheerleading. To such a switch being the main base, he feared lots of things. When we first started out this group, he told us that he just freaking learned a b-toss, and now he has to do it for a competition. Always tell us to relax, to visualize and keep calm. Frequently reminded me that I can do it, and don’t gan cheong.

Shane: With an injured shoulder, you never once complained when a flyer fell on you. You’ll always be there to tend to our injuries, taping us up. You always gave me pats on my shoulder and that sincere look on your face to assure me that I can do it. You were always calm, and make us feel that everything will be fine.

Derrick: You were never once uptight, always composed. You came out with terms to make us put the routine in mind on what to do next. Never failed to ask me to close legs for full ups, and relax for my chinchin. Constantly reminding me to open up my arms when cradling.

Xinyi: With your big ogle eyes, you showed me that I can do it. Habitually lighten my impact when I fall. From a flyer who cried each time when doing inverted tosses, look at what you have become. X-out at such height! Not even a year old flyer, and you are able to do such amazing stunts.


The coaches played an important part, especially Andra. I’m not saying this because he’s my boyfriend, but because I went through this with him. Each time I’m in doubt, he gave me the confidence to stand up again. Be it hard or soft comments, he never gave up on each one of us. As his student, I made him a loser several times. I told him I suck and I am not able to do it. He was upset, very depressed. We even quarreled over this. But no, he never gave up on me, his student. To think that he is locked in camp on weekdays, he had to fix a routine for us. He did his marching while choreographing the routine. Many trail and error - the part and parcel of making your own original routine. We too, never gave up on him and his choreographies. We did what he said we could do; what he said that it was in our capabilities. It was all too far fetched when the routine was out.

We didn’t hit a single time at first when we tried the bhs straddle, bhs twist up ex. Bhs ele/ex was so much easier to catch. Jen and Andra did it after the 3rd try? We took maybe 10 trainings to finally feel that it’s just a breeze. The next challenge, high-superlow-high heelstretch tick tock. It’s one that a single slip can spoil the whole sequence. And we got it at the last few trainings. At first, it was just pure luck if we caught her feet. Her shoe came off, our fingers got stuck in her shoe, and wrists cui-ed because of the impact when we tossed to high. I sprained my wrist thrice just for that tick tock. :/

For me, I didn’t even wanted to do full up. For god’s sake, I can count the number of times I flew for stunts with my hands. And with the bases of almost the same size as me, I was afraid they will be injured. The bases proved me wrong, and showed me that they have their techniques. At the start, Andra volunteered himself as the base to find out what was wrong. I crashed onto him at the top like 3 times? None of them gave up on me. The response was always “Michelle, can one”, “You can do it one” ,”Have confidence in yourself”, “Remember the right ones.”

Next was twist down. After doing my full down with my legs tight, Andra and Jen were my bases for my doubles. My first double kicked him so hard in the face that he vomited): I still feel bad ok. I laughed cos everyone else was laughing (When he got hit lar, not when he vomited. He vomited when he was back in camp.) when he just laid flat on the mats. And now I'm laughing at myself for laughing at him. :/ My ulcers appeared when my doubles were not finished, and during my lip disgusting period, I stopped practicing it.

Y-heelstretch/chinchin isn’t as easy as it may seem. Esp y-heelstretch cos it is impossible to hit it up when the feet is twisted inwards, and it always happen during the double take cos Jay is shorter then Shane ma. :/
Every time I fell, the only words I heard were “Can one can one!” Not just from Shane, Jay, Derrick or Xinyi, but from the whole legacy family.

Because of the bases height, there was a lot of height compromising to do. Xinyi’s flexibility sequence didn’t come easy

It was eff-ing difficult for us from the start. We literally climbed up step by step. Each time we fall, we didn’t have just the 5 of us. We didn’t have just the coaches. We have the whole of legacy.

THANK YOU COACHES
Lenny: For coming back just at the right time to push us.
Citra: Your positive attitude and expressions never failed to suppress our fears.
Andra: For believing in us to do this routine.
Jen: For coming back to correct our basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment